Sunday, May 13, 2012

A Man Worth Knowing Better: Tom Wlaschiha (Jaqen H'ghar)


A man can sometimes play a role and make an impression. Such a man is Tom Wlaschiha who plays Jaqen H'ghar in Game of Thrones Season 2.  For those of us that love Arya Stark (Maisie Williams) it was wonderful to find she had an equally great Jaqen as an ally of sorts. 


So I went out in search of more information about this German actor. I found out that Wlaschiha speaks German, English, French, Russian, and Italian and acts in all those languages. He's been in several English language films and British TV series, including Enemy at the Gates (2001).


Below is a bit of an interview he did for the UK/German film Resistance (2011). A film I haven't seen, but I now hope to check out soon.  



 Below is the trailer for Resistance (2011) directed by Amit Gupta:





Wlaschiha was born in Saxony and got his acting training at the University of Music and Theatre Leipzig and the Conservatoire pour les Arts Liège.  In addition to his film and TV work he has a theater career in Germany and is known for his voice work and audiobooks. 

A man can have many talents.







Thanks to Getty Images, Wikipedia,  Game of Thrones Wiki

Update: German Interview with Tom Wlaschiha about Game of Thrones (with English Subtitles):







7 comments:

  1. Good post! He's terrific. Funny story---when I heard he'd been cast as my favorite character from the books, I looked him up on the Internet and got really excited because he just seemed *perfect* to play Jaqen. Came across his website and on a random impulse sent an email...I've never done anything like that. I made a few comments about the character and said how glad I was that he got the part, said I really hoped to see him in some American shows soon. Nothing profound or particularly interesting about my message at all. Well, within just a couple of days, he emailed me back! A very nice, friendly email responding to each thing I'd said, and clearly written by him personally. I'd be willing to bet that few actors would personally respond like that, with that kind of attention (not just a generic message). I would've thought well of him anyway because of his fantastic performance on the show, but now I will *really* be rooting for his career. What a nice guy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that wonderful! What a great story and what a great guy. Thanks for sharing.
      Will be great to see if he does get cast in a show here in the US, or a movie. I'm going to look and see if I can find some of his TV/film work in Germany with English subtitles :)
      Glad you liked the post and thanks for the great comment.

      Delete
  2. he is very cute, but I've always had a thing for Nordic and German guys :)
    I think I had a very sexy pic of him at my place when I announced his work on GOT last winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know some nice German guys in RL :)
      I'll have to look for his pic on your blog again. I may have seen it, but now that I've seen him as Jaqen ... :)

      Delete
  3. niece piece on Jaqen. As a german, I'm always exited to see "us" on international Tv....have to admit I was sceptical at first,having read the book and having my own Jaqen in mind--- but his performance really 'grew on me'...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you littlemisssarah! I'm very curious about his work now after seeing him at Jaqen.
      I think the GoT and HBO team have done a great job with casting, and Jaqen seems to have been an instance success. To me Wlaschicha's Jaqen is more charming than the character is in the books, that's a good thing.
      Thank you for your great comment.

      Delete
  4. Heh, it seems that not only Tom has been cast in Resistance, but also... Iwan Rheon, known notably as our "sweet" Ramsay Snow/Bolton boy. I just recognized him in that Resistance vid you've posted above.
    Tom is hot! I really envy the guy that he can speak so many languages. His command of them must be really good if he acts in those languages, as you say.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...