Sunday, December 26, 2010

Voices Part III-Remember the Ladies

So here's the third of my posts about great voices and the actors who possess them. (Is that a strange sentence?).  I've concentrated on the male voice so far because for obvious reasons I'm attracted  to the male voice more, the range and depth and power and beauty and allure.

But as we approach 2011 I want to also start to talk about the contribution of my own gender, the uniqueness and strength and beauty of the female voice.

As a kid I used to watch old movies all the time on TV, what they now call classic films.  Even as long ago as my childhood the movies of the 30's, 40's and 50's were indeed classics and the actors and stars even then legendary.  My favorite actress and star was and is Bette Davis.  A voice so unique that you can't mistake her for anyone else, and even though often imitated by impersonators and comics, there's nothing like the real thing.

Bette Davis in "All About Eve" (1950):



Whether she's the star of the film or TV program, or in a supporting role, for me Maggie Smith is always unforgettable, as is her voice. Sadly I've never seen her on stage. I admire the fact she's never stopped working and loving what she does so well. I have so many favorite Maggie Smith roles, but I'll post the first movie I saw her in, and still a favorite today.

Maggie Smith in "The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie":



Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...